Positive, Reward Based Dog Training and Behavior Counseling at
The Behavior Barn!
Dog Training and Behavior Counseling with Professional Dog Trainer, Rebecca Medina.
Training Class Calendar
Rebecca joined our staff in 2015 to share her expertise with our clients and the community. She has been an active dog trainer for 20 years. She began her journey as a volunteer for a national breed rescue where she rehabilitated dogs before adoption. This experience lead to a position at Stray Haven Humane Society where she worked directly with many different dogs specializing in behavior modification, rehabilitation and dog communication. Rebecca spent the better of the last 7 years training dogs in a large pet store chain where she trained hundreds of dogs from puppy classes to A.K.C. Certified Canine Good Citizens and Therapy dogs. Rebecca is the owner of a eleven year old Australian Shepherd who is a certified therapy dog. Rebecca is a certified AKC Evaluator and a Mentor Trainer for the Animal Behavior College.
Rebecca enjoys sharing her training experience and skills with students of the Animal Behavior College. Students must complete several stages to include basic studies of canines, learning theory, training tools, classroom management, public speaking and more. Once they complete those stages, they must work under a Mentor Trainer to build hands on skills with dogs and their owners. Rebecca is proud to be offered this opportunity to create great dog trainers for the future.
Our Behavior Barn!
Summer 2018 we are offering unique class opportunities. We have changed several of the 6 week classes to 4 week classes to help people get in their training time while still having time for summer fun. We are offering the following 4 week classes this summer.
- Puppy Scouts-A level 1 class for puppies and young adult dogs who have not had previous training. We start to introduce basic command, focus and good manners.
- Kalm K9's-A level 2 class for dogs who have taken some sort of class previously. This class continues the basic behaviors adding in distraction, distance and duration. More emphasis on staying calm and focusing around distractions. We work on walking well on a leash and greeting strangers politely.
- K9 Partners-A level 3 class to continue with good manners and focus around distractions. We will take this training to the streets and practice in public.
- K9 Olympics-A level 2 class for dogs who like a challenge. We will work on multiple physical and mental activities, jumps, weave poles, tunnels and learn many fun tricks. This is a great class for high energy and/or unfocused dogs.
We offer the following services to the public
- Puppy Manners Class
- AKC S.T.A.R. Puppy Class and testing
- AKC Canine Good Citizen Class and testing
- AKC Community Canine and Urban Dog class and testing
- Adult Basic Training Class
- Adult Advanced Training Class
- Canine Social Skills
- Clicker Training Class
- Tricks Class
- Therapy Dog prep class
- Puppy Playtime
- Doggie Daycare
- Doggie Boot Camp
- Private lessons for behavior modification
- Home visits
Private training sessions are available in your home or at The Behavior Barn at Day Hollow Animal Hospital.
What is Positive, reward based training?
Positive dog training methods use positive reinforcement(usually food)to encourage a dog to repeat a desired behavior. With positive reinforcement your dog will be a willing participant and you will see how quickly your dog will change it's behavior for the better. We sincerely believe a well behaved dog starts with a positive bond with its owner. That bond cannot be formed without a clear understanding of how a dog learns and what motivates them to do what you ask. Your dog will learn the necessary behaviors needed to be a well behaved, family companion. You will learn how to "talk to your dog" in a way he will understand.
PUPPY PLAYTIME!-Bring your puppy (under 6 months of age) to play and socialize with other puppies in a safe and supervised environment. Sessions are supervised by Rebecca, our Dog Trainer. Puppy owners can chat with Rebecca during playtime to get tips and solutions for any issues at home. Puppy Playtime is being held every Tuesday evening at 5:00. All participants must be up to date with vaccinations, including kennel cough and be on parasite prevention. $5.00 per session. Preregistration is required as space is limited.
A few of our dog training class graduates!
We are currently offering the following classes
All groups class participants must have up to date vaccinations including kennel cough and be using internal and external parasite prevention.
- Puppy Manners - 4 week course for puppies age 10 weeks - 4 months.
- Class content consists of :
- Puppy Socialization
- Potty Training
- Leash Walking
- Commands - Sit, Down, Stay, Come, Wait and Leave it
- Puppy Manners
- Body Handling
- Responsible Puppy Ownership
- AKC STAR Puppy - 6 week course for puppies age 4 months - 7 months.
- Class content consists of:
- Commands - Sit, Down, Stay, Come, Wait, Leave it
- Walk on a leash without pulling
- Four on the floor (no jumping)
- Greeting a stranger
- Body Handling
- Responsible Dog Ownership
- AKC STAR Puppy Certification Test(optional)
- AKC Canine Good Citizen- This is a 6 week class designed to prepare you and your dog to take the AKC Canine Good Citizen test(optional). The test contains 10 items; all must be passed, to gain the title of Canine Good Citizen. The majority of dogs who take this class will pass the test. Your dog will learn to be social with strangers, walk well on a loose leash and sit, down and stay in place. Your dog will be able to walk past another dog without reaction and a few other things. This is a great class for dogs who have been previously trained and want to brush up on behaviors.
- Class content consists of: (Includes all behaviors needed to pass the 10 test items to gain the CGC title)
- 1. Accepting a friendly stranger
- 2. Sitting politely for petting
- 3. Appearance and grooming
- 4. Out for a walk (walking on a loose leash)
- 5. Walking through a crowd
- 6. Sit and down on command and staying in place
- 7. Coming when called
- 8. Reaction to another dog
- 9. Reaction to distraction
- 10. Supervised separation
- Adult Basic - This is a 6 week course for dogs 6 months of age and older. This is an entry level class to build the foundation of a well behaved dog. Elements of focus, body language, socialization and more also included.
- Class content consists of:
- Sit, Down, Stay, Come, Wait and Leave it behaviors - all with some duration and distance
- Focus and listening exercises
- Walk on a loose leash
- Four on the floor
- Touch, Place and Tricks
- Walk through and around other dogs
- Greeting strangers
- Body handling and nutrition
- Responsible dog ownership
- Clicker Training Class - This is a 6 week class using a mechanical device(clicker) as a conditioned reinforcer. The clicker is a great way to mark a desired behavior you want repeated. This is a great class for dog owners who like a challenge and enjoy training. You and your dog will practice basic behaviors and good manners incorporating excellent focus and staying calm in a distracting environment. This is an excellent class choice for dog owners who want to take their dog through to Canine Good Citizen and Therapy dog work.
- Class content consists of:
- Leave it
- Watch me
- Walk without pulling
- And much more...
- Canine Social Skills Class- This is 6 week class is for more advanced students. Dogs should know their basic behaviors and be social with other dogs for this course. We will build on the basic behaviors adding in Distance, Duration and Distraction (3 D's).
- Class content consists of:
- Basic behaviors learned in level one
- 3 D's (Duration, Distance and Distraction)
- Maintaining behaviors while other dogs walk around and past
- How to greet a stranger
- How to behave in a public place
- Walking past other dogs while on leash
- Stay with distractions
- Maintain eye contact while in a sit/down/stay and while walking
- Lay on your mat when visitors arrive
- Tricks Class- This 6 week class is geared toward dogs who need to challenge their minds and bodies. This class is perfect for those dogs who never sit still and tend to get into things out of boredom. Dogs should have their basic behaviors and be social for this class. We will spend time off leash doing large body movements and obstacles.
- Just a few things covered in this class (content tailored to the needs of each individual class)
- Shaping behaviors such as front and back feet on an object
- Forward, backward, hold, spin, bow,
- Shake, high five, wave
- Touch, target, ring a bell
- Tunnel, hoop, jump over, crawl under
- Search, take it, drop it,
- Weave, peek a boo, roll over, play dead
- Come with distraction and much more!
- AKC Trick Dog certification available with 10 completed tricks to demonstrate.
- Therapy Dog Prep-This is a 4 week class focusing on behaviors that benefit a dog wanting to do therapy work. Dogs should have all of the basic commands perfected and be calm and focused around other dogs.
- We cover the following behaviors in this class
- Sit, Down, Stay and Come around other dogs and with distractions
- Wait, watch me, and settle
- Leave it is perfected
- "Go say Hi"
- Shake, paws up, chin rest
- Take treats nicely
- Practice with wheelchairs, walkers, canes and strangers in strange clothing
- Practice sitting with a child to read
- Greeting a stranger properly
Also Available (tailored to owners request)
- Home Visits-Benefits dogs with reactive behaviors, guarding, fear, and/or anxiety. A good option for owner's with multiple dogs.
- Available in single lessons to begin the training process. Provides owner with a temperament evaluation and behavior plan.
- 4 Pack of Home Visits-four individual visits to your home to help you and your dog build the proper foundation to change behavior.
- Private Lesson(s) at The Behavior Barn-Individualized for your particular needs. Excellent option for those with busy schedules. This is a great option for dogs who are not social with other dogs. Also great for owners with multiple dogs.
- Available in single lessons to begin the training process. Provides the owner with a temperament evaluation and behavior plan.
- 4 Pack of Private sessions-four individual lessons tailored to your dog's particular needs. Gives you and your dogs the time needed to build the proper foundation needed to change behavior permanently.
- Boot Camp- A drop off training session with Rebecca. Perfect for dogs who struggle learning at home. Custom behavior plan and training program. Includes consultation with owner to maintain new behaviors at home.
- Temperament Evaluation-available to those who may need it for apartment rental, court ordered and/or newly adopted dogs.
Please call for more information!