Laser Therapy for Pets
The companion therapy laser is an affordable, drug-free, surgery-free, non-invasive treatment option for both chronic and acute pain.
Laser Therapy is a non-surgical treatment that is used to reduce inflammation, relieve pain, improve circulation and speed up the process of healing by accelerating cell growth and repairing tissue.
How does laser therapy work?
- The companion therapy laser is considered a class IV therapeutic laser. It applies red and infrared light to the affected tissues by deep penetration that helps speed up the process of healing, provides pain relief, helps decrease inflammation, and improves the function of damaged tissues. It is entirely safe to use and an affordable measure of care for your pet.
We use laser therapy solely or in conjunction with other treatments to treat or help with:
- Arthritis/Hip Dysplasia/Degenerative Disc Disease
- TMJ/Periodontal Disease/Post Tooth Extraction
- Lick Granulomas/Skin Infections/Allergies
- Post Op Healing
- Ear Infections/Other Infections
What can you expect from a laser treatment appointment?
- Laser treatments very rarely require any kind of sedation. The only time sedation MAY be needed, is if your pet becomes fractious or overly excited.
- No treatment is created equal; every animal will have their own individual treatment plan according to their own specific need.
- Depending on what kind of treatment is needed, each session can take anywhere from two minutes up to forty minutes of time.
- You as a pet parent, can decide if you would like to sit in on each session, however if not- feel free to bring a book or something to do while you wait.
- Because we are working with a laser, all individuals and pets in the room must wear protective eyewear. We ask that no children under 18 be present, so please plan accordingly if you wish to sit in.
- We monitor the progress of your pet by filming and taking photographs before each session.
- Depending on the ailment, it MAY only take a few treatments to see a difference, however MOST of the time it can take anywhere from 6 - 12 treatments before seeing noticeable improvement. For chronic issues- we strongly recommend maintenance treatments following the initial 6 - 12 treatments for ongoing care. The doctor will discuss with you what the optimal treatment plan for your pet will be.
- The treatment schedule usually works in a 3-2-1 manner, three times every other day during week one, twice during week two, and finishing up with one treatment the third week.
What will it feel like for my pet?
- Laser treatments are pain free and most of the time your pet will not feel a thing. There are two kinds of treatments- contact and non-contact. With contact laser treatments - it will feel just like a gentle massage with a warm and possibly tingling sensation. As for non-contact, it will also feel warm and potentially tingly to the animal, but still painless.
Your pet will receive a complimentary bandana after their first treatment! If we forget to give you one, please ask!
For more information about the Companion Therapy Laser, Please Visit: Companion Laser Therapy
If you are interested and think that your pet would benefit from laser treatments or even if you have questions regarding laser therapy, please contact our staff at 607-687-1750 to set up a consultation with one of our veterinarians.